Trek through the Mountains of the Moon
Admittedly, you must have an excellent condition, but all effort is rewarded daily. Relaxation by exertion as it is so beautifully called. On the border with Congo lies the 120 km long rwenzori
mountain range with an unprecedented number of hiking trails and literal highlights. The highest mountain is Mount Stanley,
after Kilimanjaro and Mt. Kenya the third highest mountain in Africa. You follow different routes, walk past small huts made of banana leaves and typical Bakonjo homesteads. You'll walk along the beautiful Mubuku River, jump from rock to rock on the descent to the Bujuku River, and cross the Mahoma River.
Steep paths and spectacular views
Slippery and steep paths through a bamboo forest take you to a beautiful viewpoint: Nyamileju, from where you'll see Mount Stanley and Mount Speke on clear days. And for the real technical climbers, equipped with perfect equipment there is the possibility to go to the Margherita Summit (5,109m). Depending on the weather conditions and acclimatization, this climb takes 4 to 7 hours. Wind and cold have free reign here. An easier trip is the walk from Elena to Kitandara. After all your efforts, you'll finally take a safari and boat ride in Queen Elizabeth Park National Park, where you can see elephants, hippos and buffalo. The last night in a comfortable lodge brings you back to the 'ordinary world' with your thoughts.
Tips & Tops Trekking Rwenzori Mountains:
- Before you embark on this trek, pass the equator, a moment to pause for a moment
- From the Kurt Shafer Bridge, watch the bujuku and Mubuku River meet
- Giant cruc herd and lobelia along the arduous route are a welcome change
- Overnight in the narrow valley at the foot of the Stuhlman is spectacular, it is very cold!
- Experienced climbers can take on the challenge during this trip and climb the Margherita Summit
- Spectacular views of western Congo and North Mount Stanley on your trek up from Kitandara
- Resting in the Nyabitaba Hut, a pleasant place to stay after many days of effort