SELFDRIVE THROUGH THE EXTREME NATURAL LANDSCAPES OF SOUTH-CENTRAL ALASKA
The journey begins in Anchorage,
located between mountains and sea with all the amenities you might expect from a big city; good restaurants, museums, theatres and a vibrant music scene. The last stop before you enter the desolate nature, the open tundra of Denali Park.
Brace yourself for grizzly bears, moose, wolves, Dall sheep and caribou. Then from Fairbanks
make an unforgettable expedition to the Arctic Circle, where you will see unique landscapes.Furthermore, Turnagain Arm
, Kenai Fjords National Park, Wrangell St. Elias National Park
and the tourist attraction the Trans-Alaska pipeline
is on the program. An impressive tour of infinite wilderness!
TIPS & TOPS FROM SELFDRIVE ALASKA'S SOUTHCENTRAL:
- Cook Inlet is the Bay of the Gulf of Alaska to Anchorage. The branch that flows over Anchorage is Knik Arm. Turnagain Arm flows along the bottom and the path that runs along it is called one of the most beautiful routes in the world. From start to finish you have a beautiful view of the mountains and the bay. There is a good chance that you will encounter Dall sheep on the side while in the water white dolphins pass by.
- Fly from Homer in 1.5 hours to Katmai National Park for a Bear Viewing Tour, an unforgettable experience!
- You will stay in the charming train station town of Talkeetna, a departure point for travellers to the impressive Mt. Mckinley, America's highest mountain in nearby Denali National Park.
- In Denali N.P., guided hikes, mountain biking, gold search, fishing and an evening trip to Wonder Lake are just some of the adventurous activities you can undertake.
- Optional is a flight from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle; the famous Pipe Line and the Gates of the Arctic National Park are on their very best from the air!
- In addition to being a true university town, Fairbanks is the base for spectacular excursions in the area such as the Chena Hot Springs,the Northern Lights and paddle boat tours.
- In the town of North Pole you can do Christmas shopping all year round.
- Valdez is a picturesque port town from where Colombia Glacier is easily accessible and where daredevils can pick up their hearts rafting and heliskiing in the summer.
- InGlacier City,you can hike glaciers, search for gold, sled dog tours, flighteeing and explore the area by ATV. The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is highly recommended if you want to see the wildlife up close.
- In Wrangell St. Elias National Park you can participate in the Root Glacier Hike.
- Learn all about dog sledding during a day and a night on the Norris Glacier.
- Times the flight to Kennicott has taken you breathtaking views over Mt. Blackburn, Kennicott, Root Glaciers and the Stairway Icefall.
- In Wrangell –St. Elias N.P. takes you on a tour of kennecott's former copper mines.
- Fly from Anchorage to a remote lodge for bird excursions, fishing tours, and bear tours.
- Extend your trip with a delightful multi-day cruise or a wilderness lodge retreat. Inquire about the possibilities!